Monday, October 25, 2010

Race and Attractiveness

For the longest time (actually always) those two things have played a part in my life, not in a huge way like some sort of Oscar winning story line about having to deal with racism or ugly people having inner beauty and what not, but just in a subtle way. All my life since I was a kid I was told I was unattractive by my peers (no this is not an attempt to get words of encouragement that im not that ugly I know im not.) any ways, in high school I was out right told I was "ugly" now when your a teen or younger that can be really devastating. Mind you now I'm no "Brad Pitt" but I think im pretty cool. thats just the way its been, even today I get the occasional remark, subtle as it may be its still there. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but some people just have a harder time of it than others.

Racism, well actually I don't know really if I could call it that, maybe more along the lines of being stereo typed, I'm Hispanic and to some people that means that I should love to work out doors, that I'm really strong, that I speak perfect Spanish, and that I should not know much about the modern world ( you might ask why not the chiseled Latin hunk type you see in movies? well I mentioned earlier looks play a part in that), if you didn't know me, I look like just swam across the river so to speak. The generic I work in the fields possible illegal alien Mexican stereo type. So naturally when I have a good idea at work I just get a nod but when some one else has a simular idea (some one who is more attractive or not a so so looking Hispanic they get a bit more attention. Maybe other people feel this way maybe not, this is how I feel, now I don't raise to much of a fuss because I do get heard , I just have to try a little harder than my good looking or non Hispanic counterparts. Well hopefully anyone reading this isn't offended by me because im not outraged or because they think I am making something out of nothing, but if anyone else deals with subtle or outright stereo typing or being a little over looked because of your "looks" well you are not alone. remember just because a person looks a certain way doesn't mean they are.

I love technology, (why did I say that? eh I just do)

No comments:

Post a Comment